The Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute...
has a mission to promote and stimulate theoretical, numerical, field, and laboratory experimental studies of fluid-dynamical phenomena in the atmosphere, rivers and lakes, ground water, oceans, fluids on other planets, and fluid portions of the Earth's interior, and to apply this knowledge to problems in the geosciences, including environmental problems."
GFDI supports this mission by:
- developing hands-on geo-fluid dynamics lab demonstrations for students;
- providing research support facilities: computing, photo and machine shops;
- facilitating collaborative research;
- administering the GFDI graduate program;
- administering a colloquium series in geophysical fluid dynamics;
- hosting visiting professors and arranging meetings and short courses;
- administering research contracts and grants